M&K Junction Railroad

M&K Junction Railroad
Another train of eastbound coal crosses the Cheat River

Sunday, April 19, 2015

First Loco On Cranberry Grade



Today, after returning from a Trail Life USA camping trip, I got a loco operating on Cranberry Grade.  Since Cranberry is a future standalone power district, I can isolate it from the rest of the layout.  I did so then hooked up my auxiliary DCC System (a Lenz Compact) took a loco which was at hand (a Weaver FB-2 repainted for an early 1950s B&O unit) and ran it up and down Cranberry, on all three tracks, stopping short of the crossovers at the top.

Having proven out the track/electrical on Cranberry Grade, I reconnected it to the rest of the layout and operated it from the main DCC system (Lenz Set 100).  I was concerned about doing this as the length of run from the main unit is well beyond the DCC specification.  However, I have found Lenz equipment to be bullet proof and it operated properly.  After I finish all of the main track I will be installing additional power boosters/districts which should alleviate any signal problems.



I can't wait to see some steam on the Grade!



2 comments: