M&K Junction Railroad

M&K Junction Railroad
Another train of eastbound coal crosses the Cheat River

Friday, April 6, 2012

Setback!

I've been able to get a lot accomplished this week, although I have had a layout-related disappointment.

I rewired and rehung the lights on the Cheat River Grade and the new arrangement is much improved.

Unfortunately, the scissors crossover that I sweated over building (literally and figuratively) for the last several weeks did not fit where intended. I should have laid this out in CAD; I even should have thought through the geometry before building it. I can see now that it will require a curved crossover to fit the space. I believe that given enough time I could build a curved scissors crossover, but it would not be complete in time for my next open house; so I will build it as two single curved crossovers. To do so I have just ordered more code 148 rail. However, this setback practically assures that I will not have the helix finished by the date of the open house.

In the meantime, I have begun laying the track on the helix, over where the scissors crossover would have been and it looks like this:



The roadbed in the foreground is on the helix and you are looking towards the Cheat River Grade in the illuminated space towards the rear. The roadbed is dual layer cork on top of camper (topper) tape. The track ducks under the basement stairs in this location. We don't let physical obstacles deter us!

No comments:

Post a Comment