M&K Junction Railroad

M&K Junction Railroad
Another train of eastbound coal crosses the Cheat River

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

We don't need to build no stinkin' scenery!

Scenery? Scenery? We don't need to build no stinkin' scenery!

I've been meaning to try this little experiment for a while. Could I 'green screen' (chroma key) scenery onto an otherwise bare layout? With the help of a green fold-up school project display board from Wal-Mart I believe the answer is - yes.

I took a few quick clips in front of the improvised green screen and with the help of Corel Video Studio I added a panoramic picture that I took in the valley of the South Branch of the Potomac River. While not perfect in composition or execution, it works for a quick first attempt. Judge for yourself, with and without digital enhancement:



Don't click on 'HD" to turn on Hi Def mode unless you have a fast internet connection and a fast computer.

Of course there would be ethical questions surrounding doing this without full disclosure. But I can see the utility of using this technique to try out scenery treatments.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting idea. I'm impressed. However, green cars would be a problem.

    ReplyDelete