M&K Junction Railroad

M&K Junction Railroad
Another train of eastbound coal crosses the Cheat River

Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Scissors Crossover

Before track can be laid on the Mother of All Helices (MOAH) I had to build a scissors crossover. Since the helix is designed to be serial storage for trains, the crossover is at the entrance of the helix and will allow me to store trains from either direction on either track of the helix. It will also allow trains into and out of hidden staging which will have a connection on the inner track on the lower level of the helix.

To this end, I had built four Fast Tracks jig-built turnouts (2 right hand and 2 left hand). I intended to build these into the crossover. Unfortunately, I could find no good information on building a scissors crossover. Fast Tracks had printable templates for building one in HO or smaller scales, but they were not available in O scale; and they were for a much tighter track center spacing than I was using so they could not be enlarged to equivalent O scale.

The NMRA had no data on building one using the #6 turnouts that I had on hand. Particularly I wanted to know the degree of the crossing in the middle as a function of the turnout number and the track center spacing.

Paul Mallery's "Trackwork Handbook" had instructions for scratch building a simple crossing and it was of some help.

I guess that I could have calculated the angle of the crossing using geometry had I put my mind to it. Instead, for better or for worse, I decided to wing it and improvise as I went.

So I started to lay out the crossover on the back of my 2x4 ceiling tile where I build most of my scratch built track. The two left-hand turnouts were positioned first as these form the facing-point crossover which will be the most often used route through the crossover. The turnouts had been built with extra-long rails on the diverging routes and I joined these to form a continuous route through the crossover.

Here's what that looked like:

IMG_0769_edited

IMG_0770_edited

Next, it was time to start fitting the right hand turnouts. The straight legs of the turnouts were temporarily joined with rail while the diverging leg was butted against the left hand crossover. These pictures show it best.

IMG_0771_edited

IMG_0772_edited

To keep the straight routes in line and in gauge, I used Fast Tracks "Sweep Sticks". I had what I thought was a brilliant idea to cut one of the sweep sticks into a tool that would hold the intersecting rails in gauge as well as to the proper angle while they were being soldered to the previously laid crossover. The next photo shows how I used sweep sticks.

IMG_0773_edited

The angle-cut sweep stick did not work out as well as I had planned. I did not have enough hands to hold the rail tight against the sweep stick while wielding the soldering iron and the solder. However it worked well enough to keep the track just within tolerance by the NMRA gauge.

Once the first right hand turnout was soldered in place the problem of how to align the turnout on the opposite side arose. This time I had better luck with improvising a tool. I made a tool out of 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum, notched to fit over the in-place rails and which would hold the off-side turnout rail in alignment with the turnout already soldered in place.

IMG_0793_edited

IMG_0800_edited

The detail shot shows how the tool is held in place with wooden clothes pins with their handles turned around and end-for-end so that the straight legs are pinching the tool to the rail. It's important that a tool like this be used on the gauge side of the rail and not on the off-side.

The tool, with a lot more clothes pins, was also used to align the rails in the center of the diamond:

IMG_0809_edited

Here, the two running rails in the center of the diamond are aligned and soldered in place:

IMG_0816_edited

Here's the scissors crossover with all running rails in place:

IMG_0822_edited

Now came the really tedious part - the guard rails. The guard rails will have to have part of their base removed to fit against the running rails; and where their ends butt against the running rails they will have to be filed to an angle as well as having the base relieved to fit snug against the running rail.

Before the guard rails could be fitted the flange ways had to be filed through the running rails. I tried, without success, to use a Dremel tool for this purpose. Even though I have a cutter that it the exact size for an O Scale flange way, I could not hold and guide the tool accurately enough to cut a good flange way. In addition the tool had a tendency to catch on the rail and become uncontrollable.

During the fitting of the guard rails and the filing of the flangeways, I ran into a curious problem. After checking the work with the NMRA gauge, I would run a truck through. This particular truck was removed form a car where I had replaced all of the wheel sets with Precision Scale wheel sets. Oftentimes one wheel set on the truck would have no problem going through, but the other would hang, usually catching the back of the wheel set on the guardrail or in the flange way. For the longest time I did not question what are supposed to be high-quality wheel sets, and I did a lot of extra filing to get the thing to pass through.

Finally frustrated with the amount of filing that I was doing, I checked the wheel sets. Sure enough one wheel set on the truck was wide-gauge. So I got the other truck from the original car and start using it - and the problem persisted! This time I checked the wheel sets early and one wheel set on this truck was wide too! So out of four wheel sets, from a reputable company, two were out of gauge. Just goes to show, take nothing for granted.

Here are pictures of the completed scissors crossover.

IMG_0835_edited

IMG_0840_edited

IMG_0836_edited

IMG_0831_edited

IMG_0827_edited

Placement of the PC ties was ad hoc and did not follow any pattern. Fortunately, this scissors crossover will be hidden from view (but still easily accessible) inside the helix; so the fact that it's not competition quality is not an issue. Still it's a shame that no one will admire my handiwork.

I will have to build another one of these for the top end of the helix, to get re-routed trains back on their proper tracks. But that's a job for April.

1 comment:

  1. Terry, You've spoken about your construction of the crossing component of this crossover, but this is the first time I've had a chance to look at the photos, and I like the approach. I have two hand-laid crossings on my shelf layout that I constructed from a series of 8 pre-constructed points it and liberal use of gauges resulted in two successful crossings, but running rail alignment was a tad off and had to be addressed with a file. I think I'll try your approach next time; through running rails on one route, with the crossing route butted against them. Thanks for the detailed post.

    ReplyDelete